Recycling of PET packaging
Period of implementation
10 млн. грн
2003 – 2015
Oleksandriia, Kirovohrad Oblast
- Plastic bottle processing
- Improvement of the environmental situation due to reduction of plastic waste
- Production of new materials fro PET waste
- Job creation
- Promotion of the environmental culture of production companies
- According to the ecology specialists, an average Ukrainian produced 220 to 250 kg of municipal solid waste, or 330–380 kg in case of large city residents.These figures are growing year after year.
- Polymer waste makes up about 10–15% of the total municipal waste, or almost 20 kg per person per year.
- At the same time, the experts report an increase in the popularity of PET-packaged products (beer, drinks, household chemicals, etc.): this product segment is growing by 10–12% annually.
- PET is the main environmental hazard, since the decomposition period of plastic in the nature is over 400 years.
- So far Ukraine the Ukrainian legislation does not create incentives for waste recycling.The state also does not have effective incentives for separate waste disposal by citizens; the conditions for waste processing, as well as the waste disposal system itself, are absent.
- In 2003, the Obolon Corporation commenced its own plastic waste recycling program.
- Kirovohrad Oblast became a perfect place to implement the project from the standpoints of logistics and equal distance to major cities.An innovative PET packaging waste recycling line was installed in Oleksandriia, Kirovohrad Oblast.
- At the first stage of project implementation, the recycling consisted in shredding to bottles into so-called flakes, which were exported.
- In 2008, the second stage was commenced with manufacture of end products (rim band, crates, chairs, etc.)For this purpose, the company purchased modern German equipment, capable of processing 125 kg of 100% recycled flakes per hour to produce rim band.This modern German-made line allows processing the PET waste without an environmental impact.
- Today Obolon collects the raw materials using its own efforts, withover one hundred used bottle disposal containers installed at the production facilities, and purchases used PET packaging from suppliers.
Amount of PET packaging recycled, tons
Total program impact
Over 10,2 thousand tons of plastic processed over 12 years
Over 350 jobs created
UAH 15,5 million received in proceeds from sale of rim band in 2015